Wednesday, February 15, 2012

What the heck is Raclette??

Photo by David Lebovitz
How is it possible that I have never heard of raclette??!! As a die hard cheese lover I cannot believe I had never come across this fabulous Swiss tradition. I hope that I am not the only one feeling very left out of the hot, melty, cheesy loop! So what is raclette? Well, technically it's a type of Swiss cheese but the amazing thing about this cheese is how it's served. It is put under a hot plate of sorts and melted until it achieves a purely delicious level of gooiness and begins to form a crust. Then...you might want to sit down for this...the hot melty cheese is scraped onto potatoes! Whaaaa?? How great does that sound?? Traditionally the cheese is also served alongside small pickles,  pearl onions, and even various sliced meats. Now, before you go running to the store to buy a Raclette grill, know that they are pretty expensive. I have heard that some places will rent them so check with local restaurant supply stores first. And if you don't have any luck, do what I plan on doing..use the broiler! Put the cheese in shallow ramekins and place just under the broiler till it's melty and crusty then scrape over your potatoes. You can buy the raclette cheese at most specialty food stores or substitute another one of your favorite melting cheeses like mozzarella or fontina. The easiest option..the raclette party tray at iGourmet.Comes with all the food you need all ready to go!

 Here are some of the raclette grills that I would consider pinching my pennies for...

Williams-Sonoma

Comfort House

iGourmet

No comments:

Post a Comment