Monday, July 11, 2011

Grilled Green Goodness!

Image via PatioDaddioBBQ.com
My hubby and I had our first date night Friday since our little girl was born three weeks ago. We headed out to a local upscale bistro were I was pleasantly surprised by what I ordered. A grilled ceasar salad. Yes, I was impressed by a salad! Pretty incredible considering I also ate a $40 Kobe beef steak. I had seen grilled salads on menus before but to be honest was always turned off by the thought of warm, wimpy lettuce leaves. I mean, that's what you get when you order a burger at a fast food restaurant. Who wants that? But my friends, this grilled salad has completely changed my opinion. It was amazing! The char-grilled leaves added such a wonderful toasty flavor to the salad that I had never experienced before. And the cool part was that the lettuce still had a little chill to it. No wimpy leaves! So, if you have never tried grilled greens before, I encourage you to give it a shot! Not only is it delicious, it will also make an excellent addition to your entertaining recipe repertoire.  
Here's how it's done...
Simply wash a head of romaine lettuce (or other hardy green). Cut the head lengthwise into several smaller sections. Drizzle each section with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over direct, hot heat for about a minute or until slightly charred. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with parmesan cheese or feta. Drizzle the sections with the dressing of your choice and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Kates - First, let me say that I'm very happy that you enjoyed my recipe. I just ask that you please link to my blog where you got it. It's only fair to share the sources of your recipes.

    Thanks,
    John (a.k.a. Patio Daddio)

    ReplyDelete
  2. John-Thank you for your comment! The caption under the photo that I used from your site is linked to www.patiodaddiobbq.com. Thanks for the photo. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete