|image via Food Network|
Pesto is one of those things that is so simple yet so full of flavor! There are so many varieties of pesto out there but the easiest to find in the store is basil pesto. Basil pesto is the perfect combination of fresh basil, olive oil, garlic, nuts, and parmesan cheese. What makes it worthy of a party? It is perfect on its own but with just a little extra love..pesto change-o, you can have any number of drool worthy dishes to serve your guests. Just how versatile is it?
- Serve with some crusty bread for the perfect dipping sauce
- Drizzle over fresh tomatoes
- Mix with mayo for a flavorful addition to your favorite sandwich
- Combine with your favorite vinegar for an easy salad dressing
- Use as a base for a quick marinade
- Add to fish, chicken, steak, pork..you name it, pesto can made it special
- Stir into pasts for a light sauce
- Top off your tomato soup with a little pesto for a 4-star presentation
See what I mean? One jar of pesto can go a long way in making your food the star of the evening! Can't find it at the store? No worries. Pesto is really easy to make at home. Here is a great recipe from Food Network to get you started.
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese (see Cook's Note)
Combine the basil, garlic, and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add 1/2 cup of the oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
If using immediately, add all the remaining oil and pulse until smooth. Transfer the pesto to a large serving bowl and mix in the cheese.
Freeze single portions of the pesto in an ice cube tray for easy storage and use.
Have a little more time to play with pesto? Check out some of these yummy recipes..
|image via PeasAndCrayons.com|
|image via IowaGirlEats.com|
|image via PerrysPlate.com|